Fume is an EU7th Framework Programme funded project that aims at documenting and evaluating which changes in the land or in other factors occurred in the last decades that affected forest fires in Europe and other fire-affected areas of the world. By understanding of the causes underlying past changes in fire regime and with projections of future (XXI century, several time-slices) climate and other socioeconomic factors that could affect fire, projections of the likely impacts on the vegetation and landscapes and on fire regime will be made. A particular focus will be devoted to extreme weather and climate phenomena, such as drought and heat waves, due to their great impact on fires. A revision of current protocols and procedures for fire prevention, fire-fighting and the management of fire-prone areas will be made to evaluate adaptive options to cope with changed fire regime. That includes an evaluation of economic costs and of policies at the European level. Linkage between research and stakeholders will be insured by means of training and other knowledge-transfer activities.
UNIVERSIDAD DE CASTILLA LA MANCHA - España
Source of funding
: EUROPEAN COMMISSION 7th Framework Programme
Programme and Contact references
: 6,00 €
- Centro de Estudios Ambientales del Mediterráneo - España
- Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha - España
- Università degli Studi della Tuscia - Italia
- Centre Nationale de Recherche Scientifique, Centre d’Ecologie Fonctionelle et Evolutive - Francia
- Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research - Alemania
- Foundation of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon - Portugal
- European Commission, Directorate General Joint Research Centre – Institute for Environment and Sustainability - Bélgica
- Centro Euro-Mediterraneo per i Cambiamenti Climatici - Italia
- Università di Sassari-Dip. di Economia e Sistemi Arborei - Italia
- Institut National de Recherche en Sciences et Technologies pour L'Environnement et L'Agriculture - Francia
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Department of Ecology and Systematics - Grecia
- University of Ioannina - Grecia
- University of Lund, Dep. Physical Geography and Ecosystem Analysis - Suecia
- Universidad de Cantabria - España
- Institut de Recherche pour le Développement - Francia
- Finnish Meteorological Institute - Finlandia
- National Research Council Italy-Inst. of Biometeorology - Italia
- Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Zaragoza – International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies - España
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas - España
- Tecnologias y Servicios Agrarios, S.A. - España
- Instituto Superior de Agronomia de Lisboa - Portugal
- Centre for European Policy Studies - Bélgica
- Université Ferhat Abbas de Sétif - Algeria
- National Institute for Research in Rural Engineering, Water and Forest - Túnez
- National Centre for Climate and Meteorological Research - Marruecos
- Southwest Anatolia Forest Research Institute - Turquía
- South African National Biodiversity Institute - Sudáfrica
- USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Fire Laboratory at Riverside - EE. UU.
- Northern Arizona University - EE. UU.
- University of Arizona - EE. UU.
- US Geological Service, Western Ecological Research Center - EE. UU.
- University of Wollongong, Centre for Environmental Risk Management of Bushfires - Austria
- Universidad Austral de Chile - Chile